Friday, May 14, 2010

Green beans: Satan's vegetable

My entire life I've always battled the inevitable vegetable. I've never really liked veggies, especially green ones.

As a kid I remember having those seemingly endless arguments and fights at the dinner table with my parents over the fact that I did not and would not eat my green beans. After many nights literally crying about the fact that I was being forced to eat at least 3 beans every time my mom cooked them (which was often because my family loves them), my mom finally began the search for veggies that I would willingly eat. Along with broccoli and peas, I ended up loving salads. This brings me to last night's dinner and yesterday's lunch.

I felt terrible yesterday. Here's where my confession comes in.

I went to lunch with my friends yesterday... to Sonic. Uuggghhhh. Terrible, I know. I knew it was going to be bad as I was ordering, but I came home and looked at all that I had consumed during that one meal and just about keeled over in shock. ::gulp:: So here are the stats for my lunch...

Sonic cheeseburger: 720 cal
Tater Tots: 130cal
Sonic Butterfinger Blast: 580 cal (I'm calling it 290 since I only drank half of it anyway)

The grand total? A heart-wrenching (not to mention gut-busting) 1,140 calories.
Based on the Sonic page in Eat This, Not That, here were my other options so I didn't consume over half of my daily calories in one freaking meal:
Sonic Burger with mustard: 540cal
Grilled Chicken on Ciabatta: 375cal
Grilled Chicken Wrap: 380cal
Junior Banana Split: 200cal
Next time I'll go for the grilled chicken ciabatta with apple slices (only 35cal!) and if I really feel like it, I'll go ahead and get that banana split. Obviously, I felt terrible about lunch so I stuck with a salad for dinner (and lunch today because I liked it that much).

If you've ever been to Corner Bakery, you know what a wonderful and seemingly healthy place it is! However, looks are definitely deceiving. My favorite salad there, the harvest salad with roasted chicken, is a whopping 980cal. I've happened to make a much cheaper and healthier version at home :)

Total calories for this one is... 207!! And that is why it's better to eat at home.

Imagefrog Image Hosting


Everything is to taste, so put as much or as little as you want
2c chopped romaine
2T chopped pecans
2T crumbled blue cheese
2T Fresh & Easy raspberry vinaigrette
*Other things I love to put in this one is chicken (didn't have any on hand), dried cranberries, and sliced apples. So good!

Follow my blog with bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment